Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday's


A few weeks ago, I decided to take some of my own advice and have a day of rest, a Sabbath. For me, that not only meant not doing "work" for, well work, but also not to do work for me at my house. Now I don"t want you to think that I will be spending all day deep in prayer, fasting or trying to experience God in deeper more meaningful ways. I want to have those experiences but quite frankly, God didn't wire me that way. This may come as a surprise for some of you, but I am a "do-er". Yes, while I may have convinced many of you that I have the ability to sit still, silently contemplating deep, philosophical matters, I really was think about past episodes of Law & Order or a recent sci-fi book I had read. That brings us to my Sabbath.

When I brought this idea up to my wife Leah, she thought it was a great idea. No surprise there, since my wife is a self proclaimed "be-r" and has no problems just sitting and enjoying nature, sun sets or just dreaming. So two weeks go, I started implementing this new plan. To spend a day "resting". This meant no work on any of the household projects that I have. Here is how it's gone.


Week 1: A little twitchy, wanted to pull the TV out of storage in the garage and bask in it's warm glow. I resisted that urge and had a very nice day with my wife and Grant. I really enjoyed playing with him and connecting with my wife.

Week 2: Less twitchy than in week 1, no real urges to pull the TV out of storage and enjoyed spending time with my wife and son (and dog and two cats).

This may seem "easy" for may of you out there, but let me put that in perspective, that pile of logs, the above ground pool that I cut up and various piles of brick and concrete where piled up all over the back yard. So, whenever I sat out on the deck with Leah, Grant, Bevo or the cats, I was "forced" to look at these piles. The good news is that I able to ship off all the wood to the city of Houston, moved the cut of pool and allot of broken brick and concrete to the side of the house, which is my staging area for shipping it off to the dump (anyone got a truck I can borrow?). That brings us to Week 3.


Week 3: I didn't spend time on Saturday working on the backyard, so I decided to spend a couple of hours before my brother came over for a visit cleaning up various piles of brick and concrete that I had dug up earlier. Sadly, my inner squirrel kicked in and I picked up a shovel to dig up a "few" pieces of brick that were by the side fence. What I actually dug up was a more than a few bricks. I estimate that I dug up a cubic meter of brick. I am now convinced that the only known building materials in the 1950-60's in Houston where brick and concrete.

Maybe next week, I will resist the urge to work on my Sabbath!

Blessings & Peace to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment