Monday, December 7, 2009

Diaper changing 101

Any good parent will tell you that every baby needs a solid routine to get use to life on the "outside". What they don't tell you is that the routine is just as important for the parent's survival because of the massive sleep deprivation that all parents go through during the first year.

Our bed time routine goes something like this. Somewhere between 4-5 pm Grant will start to get hungry. Hungry is a bit of an understatement because when he starts to eat his supper, he seems to pack away enough milk to satisfy a defensive lineman for the Houston Texas. Now given that the Texan's current record isn't that impressive, it may not seem like a lot but for a 4 month old, it's pretty darn impressive. Somewhere during this milk fest he is ready for his evening bath after which it's time to get into pajamas and get ready for the last bottle (or three) before going to sleep.

Such was the extent of my sleep deprivation this past weekend, that for the life of me I couldn't understand what was wrong with Grant when I put him into his pajamas. I kept looking and looking and thinking, my it sure looks strange to see is willy flapping in the breeze of the ceiling fan. I must have been contemplating this for a several minutes when it suddenly dawned on me that I might want to put a diaper on him before handing him to my wife for his last feeding. Luckily, I caught this one in time to prevent an embarrassing wet incident on my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment